HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crowded Public Land
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 07:02 PM
eureka77
Fork Horn

On public land that I hunt or have hunted I go where there's little hunting pressure. Alot of times it's the places where ya don't think there will be deer or goes against everything you learned. One spot was a large track of land, say 2miles square with a logging road going through. Anyway everybody and their brother try to go back as far as they can and hunt the outer reaches thinking that's were the deer were. Which there were but...... Well they've been doing it for years and the deer knew it.
Me, I would hunt as soon as I pulled into the tract 60yd.s into the woods from a major roadway. I was the only one and had much deer activity all through the day and got alot of nice bucks at that spot. In fact I always thought the more people there the better cause all the deer would come hang out by me. Kinda sucked hearing a busy highway behind me but better that than bumping into alot of hunters or fear of getting shot.
Same thing at another place here. It's in the national forest and I hunt pretty dang close to one of the horse camps. Again it kinda sucks to be up in your tree and hear these loud ''cowboys'' riding on the trails around you, but the deer take this kind of intrusion as non-threating and pay no mind to it. In fact when the hunting pressure heats up this is the place they go. I definatly like the peace and solitude of hunting a nice piece of private land in the middle of nowhere, a true hunt feeling but I also like to get deer so.... Just keep your eyes open to something similar to these spots aswell.
Goodluck!