HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crowded Public Land
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I have hunted public land for about 15 year. It's tough. You really do have to find place nobody wants to go, that still can produce deer.
i have had people walk all over my hunt even when they see me. I try to never go over sombody's hunt. If I see someone, I change direction. Lots of folks don't
In my area people run dogs sometimes....during general firearm's season you can be certain that they will be running dogs on doe day and most saturdays. You have to
come up with a plan to deal with it. some days I will take a shotgun instead of a rifle or set up high in a tree where I will have a rifle shot on an escape route
that the deer will use. I also try to find out where folks are planning to set up when I am in the parking lot in the morning. There are several trucks I have gotten to
know and I know where those hunters prefer to be so i go someplace else. I have my own little honey holes as well. I have cussed a blue streak on more than one occasion
because someone walked all over my hunt. I've also had someone see me, set up not too far away and get mad when I shoot a deer that they thought was "theirs". (I would never shoot in the direction
of another hunter so I am still baffled at how they thought the deer should be theirs.
I feel your pain. Just keep hunting. If it's like my area, as the season wears on, they will stop coming. especially as it gets colder.