HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - should there be an ohio antler law
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:19 AM
accman
Fork Horn

It's a tough situation to consider adding restrictions on any type of hunting. It's great to have the RIGHT to take a spike or not, being told you can only take bucks with 3 on one side isn't fair for the meat hunter or anyone who wants to exercise their right of choice. If I relied on keeping a full freezer to feed my family, then restrictions would put an unfair burden on me. In our rifle camp, we put these restrictions on ourselves 7 or 8 years ago and have found that we see bigger deer, along with spikes and y's. The landowner wants no does shot, and that's in our bylaws and it doesn't bother me. I just grew up that way. Our bylaws also state that Jr hunters and Seniors can take any legal buck, 3", but many 1st timers have passed and feel they can go by the same rules. Are we looking to grow 10's and 12's to put on the wall, Hell no. Can't eat the horns, but it's just the quality of deer we see has been better, that's all.

Where I bowhunt, I choose not to take small bucks cause I'd like em to live a few years, make little bucks, and learn the ropes. Besides, I can only use 1 deer in the family and if me and my son get one, it's overkill, specially knowing that during rifle, I have a chance at seeing bigger deer and have a better shot at it with a rifle. If we don't get one, c'est la vie. Just beware of asking for more restrictions to be placed on your hunting, cause you may not like what you get.