HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anybody have to look away as their deer dies?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 PM
kswild
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Maddog10
Funny you say that secondchance. I killed my first deer with my dad when I was about 9 or 10 as well, and while my excitement kept me from getting that upset, the fact that I took it's life did hit me pretty hard, and that deer seemed to die instantly with no suffering at all. What was bad was that this doe was with a group of four other does and a fawn. After I shot the doe, the others ran about 20 yards and stopped. Three of them then turned around and walked straight back to the doe I shot, and were just looking at it and nudging it with their noses. I know that's all part of hunting, but that's a tough pill to swallow when you're a 10 year old kid that is an animal lover. Even as my dad taught me to field dress it, the other does never left. They stood about 60 yards away and just kept watching us. It wasn't until we began loading the deer on the four-wheeler that they trotted back into the woods. I asked my dad why the other deer didn't run away when I shot and I remember his response just like it was yesterday, "Because those other deer were her friends son."... I think that might have even made kswild feel a touch of sadness. haha
What salty old Kswild feel sad? Hey if you want truthful answers without sugar coating to the tough questions you can always count on Kswild to deliver. Because the truth and reality are always a little on the harsh side. It's called being a MAN. I can not tell you how many times I wish the grown ups I looked up to would have been straight and told me the plain hard truth of things instead of sugar coating things. Even if the truth hurts, the truth is always best. I don't get sad butchering a hog that I kill why would I a deer? They are food. Deer are beautiful animals in the wild and put on this earth for us to eat. If I had these guilty feelings for killing them I would not hunt. I will not apologize for being the predator that I am. Salt and all!
Live it up! Doug