HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anybody have to look away as their deer dies?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
SecondChance
Nontypical Buck

This blog takes me back 12yrs with my son and his first deer. He was 9 and wanted to hunt with me. Got all the proper paper work and lic. Had seen me take several species of animale over the years. Got him in the stand, sitting right in front of me in elevated platform.
A nice 6 pt comes along and stops just as I told him they would at the fence before jumping over to the field. He lines up his 20 ga slug gun and just as I tell him to shoot again, he finally does.
Buck flips over fence to lands flat. My son almost steps off the stand if he were not tied to me and I to the tree!!!!! We get down and begin to walk towards the deer. As we begin to get close, the deer begins to bawl. My son horrified and I amazed it took this long, begins to cry. I tell him that he started this and now has to finish it and to put a round into the chest, realizing it was hit in the spine. He now hands me the gun and sprints the 300 yds back to the house. I take my knife and finish the task. It took him 4 years to get back into the hunt mode again and it messed with his head so much, he made himself forget it!!! That has been 12 years ago and he has taken several deer since and no problems I am aware of. He has taken many other species without batting an eye either.