HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anybody have to look away as their deer dies?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:55 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Had a deer get hit by a car out in front of my house one night around 10pm. I happened to be coming up the street when it happened. The back was broken and it dragged itself off the road and into the tall grass ( there is a wildlife easement next to my driveway) I called the police and they said they would have someone come "dispatch" it.....45 minutes later nobody had shown so I called back to tell them to forget it, I would do it myself. Oddly enough they had somebody show up just as I was putting an arrow thru it's lungs. Next time I won't even call. Last year, while hunting my buddy shot a doe and I went his way to help track it. When we found it it was still breathing. He didn't want to do it so I cut the throat. Not great, but necessary. Way back when I started hunting a coworker told me abotu shooting a young doe on a shotgun hunt and hitting it far back. He said it started crying out and wailing. He was a really callous old guy but I could tell that it bothered him.