HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gutting Deer
Thread: Gutting Deer
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Dan480Man
Fork Horn

You can reach in there and get your fingers under the T.loin, and pull them out (cut slit behind rear "blade"). Admittedly less than surgical, but it works easier than it sounds. They work out easy.

We have done dozens of deer over the years both ways. The meat difference is very small. Very little if any backstrap inside the cage depending on size. Tenderloin on normal 85lb southern doe is what..maybe a 1 lb? If that. If you don't take it.

Of course I do admit I don't eat the organ meat.
I have all the beef liver I can hope to deal with in my lifetime, so I'm good on my favorite organ.

For what it's worth, over the years, the meat I see wasted the most, is two nice fat shoulders, with an explosive hole blown through them, and a billion bone fragments from at least one shot from some mega-blaster.
What saddens me, is how most consider THAT waste, as an expected acceptable loss, with a jolly pat on the back.
The local processor and I had the same discussion. He gets comlaints some times because the finished product is less weight than the hunter thought it should be.
He has to say "you basically ruined the shoulders?!.."
He swore he was going to start taking pictures.

Last edited by Dan480Man; 10-31-2010 at 09:25 PM.