HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Homemade Stands
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 PM
NEBRbruiser
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Coleridge
I actually built the tower part for a box I had made as a ground-blind from scrap lumber a few years ago. It was just shy of being 4"™x6"™. I had ~$170 in the tower part. Used 16"™ 4x4"™s with ripped 2x6"™s for the braces (saved a little money & meet load requirements). After I got the base built, I realized there would be no way short of heavy equipment I"™d be able to stand it; with the box bolted to it.
I then decided to build a new box in pieces, similar to a modular home. The front, sides, back (including full sized door), and top were all built separate, framed similar to what you would your house, and veneered.
I borrowed two buddies (you "ścould"ť get by with one) one Sat. We stood the base with a 4-wheeler & rope. Two of us were able to pick up the base & move it back into the limbs slightly. I attached the ladder & climbed up top. One guy through pre-cut 2X6"™s & I screwed them down (made the floor). Then two of us got on top & pulled the front up with a rope. We screwed it to the floor. Then pulled up the two sides & screwed them to the box front (so the side-backs would "świng"ť). Pulled the top up next & balanced it on the front & sides (out of the way). Then we pulled up the back (by far the heaviest but manageable). Screwed the sides to the back. Squared everything & screwed each to the floor. The roof was built as a reverse cap. It slipped inside the squared box & the lip was screwed to the frames (from the inside). Then we screwed everything OVERBORE!
I have just less of $400 in the whole thing. That"™s counting screws (used over 3lb), siding nails, hinges, roofing material, and all the treated lumber & siding (only thing I had laying around was stuff short enough for ladder rungs). It took me several 2-3hr sessions off & on to build everything. Now I"™ve done it & worked out the kinks, it would go much faster. It also took us about 2.5 hours (with breaks) to stand & assemble.
The only problem I ran into was the BIG base. The bottom is close to 12"™X10"™ (not to mention nearly 16"™ tall). I had to borrow a fairly large trailer to transport it. Then had to be careful around telephone/power lines once it was on the trailer (laid flat of course).
I built everything at my house using a table saw, drill, & skill saw. The only tools used in the field were cordless drills (bring plenty of batteries), a hammer (persuading tool), and 2 - 25"™ pieces of good rope.
The 4X6 box is big enough for two adults. We hunted once with a friend, my son & me; it got a little tight. I built mine 6.5"™ tall in the front. I would recommend that for standing & stretching. It really helps packing a ML also.
If you want to build something similar I can go into more detail & better pics. PM me & I"™ll be glad to help.
I think everyone should have something like this. It"™s great for taking someone your introducing to hunting. The box helps conceal movement & sound from those that CAN"™T sit still. It supplies a good rest for nervous 1st time shooters & you are right beside them coaching the whole way. Plus I was able to keep my son warm on the coldest of days when otherwise I wouldn"™t have wanted to take him.
Don"™t get me wrong, this is the only stand I have like this. I hunt lots of lock-on"™s, ladders, and hop around mostly with my climber. But on days I"™ve got a shadow"¦ This can"™t be beat.
Sounds like a good process. What the heck does "&amp" mean???????????? I can't for the life of me figure it out and have never seen it used before.