HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sweaty.. Like shooting myself in the foot?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 AM
Duckbutter48
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Even in cold weather, if I have to walk far I will use a backpack to carry my outer layers. I often walk in with a t-shirt rather than wear even a light jacket. No harm in being a little cool walking in.
THis!!

I wear only the minimum amount of clothes to my stand if I have a pretty good hike--which in the mountains of WV I usually do. I carry a gallon size ziploc and stuff my sweaty t-shirt into it then get dressed under the stand. I purposely wear cotton t's to absord the sweat. On hotters days I even bring a towel to get as dry as possible before putting hunting clothes on, then just stuff it all in the ziploc bag and put it into my pack.

Heck I usually even wear just 1 pair of cotton socks to the stand then put on my heavy socks before I climb up. You have to carry a bit more but it really doesnt take long to get dressed and it sure is nice to take off the sweaty clothes put on the warm dry clothes and sit in the stand.

As far as scent killer I spray everything down the night before let it hang out on the porch all night, pack it up outside and put it on the back of the truck.

I always use fox urine at the treestand as a cover scent, I spray the bottom of the tree and again once Im in the stand. Just hunting the wind wear IM at is not a real possibility. It usually seems to be swirling or switch directions alot.

IM not sure what works best or doesnt work with this combination but I rarely spook deer while Im in the stand strickly from them winding me.

Last edited by Duckbutter48; 10-27-2010 at 05:00 AM.