HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nother, what kind of duck is this?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Ruddyduck
Typical Buck

No I'm not jealous or chip. I'm old enough to had hunter under a point system when one had some restricted species in your bag limit. Back then you had darn well know what you were shooting at all times. There was no season for Cans and for hens points were high and taking one black for you first bird you're day was done. Under those rules getting up early busting your butt to beat someone to a good spot on public land and to not know the diffence could mean one and done or only maybe 2 birds. You learned not to shoot if you weren't 100% sure.
You learned how to waterfowl not just shoot birds. Good hunters could tell the difference between a hen mallards ,pintails etc. and a blackduck and tell the difference between them if a flock came to the decoys. Heck hunting big water like Raritan or Barnegat ,Cheasepeake Bays ,Hackensack Meadowlands, coastal Me. you idenified birds waterfowl at a mile.
I've watched my fair share of new hunters blast away at coot , commorants,grebes etc. Some got away with it others got fines. I'm just dismayed when people shoot and haven't a clue at what they shot at.