HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nother, what kind of duck is this?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 AM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ruddyduck
Those are some of the lamest excuses for not knowing what you're shooting I ever heard. Although the harlequin is the not allowed to be harvested the odds of seeing one in your particular area unless hunting on the coast would be near 0.
that was my point. I knew it was not an illegal species , I said It was my 1st duck of the day so I knew it was legal.
There are bag limits on species and not knowing what you're shooting at is irresponsible. Can you tell the difference pass shooting between hen mallards and black ducks? You could easily shoot a pair or blacks which would make you illegal.
Ha, Im lucky if I can hit one! Like I said, Im not shooting over a spread of deeks, im shooting ducks flying by. ive never gotten a double actually, and yeah Im well aware of the species bag limits. ive never shot more than my limit for each species, and I dont have anything to fear from any game warden.
My point is if you don't know what you're shooting you shouldn't shoot. You can bet the warden will one day and if you do make a mistake be ready to have you're gun confiscated one the spot and a citation written and not seeing you firearm again until you go in front of a judge to pay your fine and who knows how the law is these days , you might not get it back.
Ill admit im no duck expert, but I know the difference between most species at 1st glance within 40yds. I thought this was a canvasback hen, which was legal, but so is a gadwall , pintail, redhead, or merganser, so if it was my 1st duck of the day, how is that irresponsible if i know its a legal bird? why do you feel the need to criticize what others shoot? youre like the guys on the deer forum, who gives others crap because they shoot young bucks or what you consider too many does. If its legal why criticize?

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 10-15-2010 at 03:53 PM.