HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Couldn't believe it when I read it.
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 AM
MISwampDog
Fork Horn

Default Couldn't believe it when I read it.

Got home from work this morning and read the Detroit Free Press. I noticed an article saying "Hunter not at fault in bear attack". Being curious I read it. Evidently a bow hunter in Petoskey, MI was up in his stand when a sow and cubs came ambling along. Somehow the cubs decided to climb his tree and check him out. The hunter suffered several wounds to his legs and feet. I couldn't believe some of the comments readers put. They blamed him for provoking the bears, antaganizing them, blamed him for being in the bears habitat, and several other crazy things. A bear is a wild animal. Being a wild animal they are unpredicatable. Im sure the bears had a reason to attack, just not one we can understand. I think it's shameful that the hunter was labeled as the bad guy. Things happen. The bears prolly saw something unusual in a tree and went to check it out. when they realized it was a human they went into their natural instinct and protected themselves. Guess what, so did the hunter. Now as for me I am able to carry a firearm at all times in the state of michigan. I don't go into the woods without one (or anywhere for that matter). I know the chances of being attacked by a bear, coyote, sasquatch or whatever are slim, but I'm not taking that chance. Hope it never happens to me, the people of Michigan may try to bring me up on murder charges.