HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - a few questions for vet hunters...
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Mr. Deer Hunter
Banned

Originally Posted by runko
my trail cams our by the feeders... and since the veg is thick.... im only getting a few pictures...20 ish a week....

I treat a trail camera like a tool, just like a hammer or a wrench.
It helps a person to perform a task, which in your case is trying to scout an area without actually being there.

would you move them?

Nope = I would just do more scouting in the day light hours.

now on to buck hunting.... the best time to hunt big bucks during the rut? Yes - the bucks will drop their guard during the rut and will do things that they do not normally do - such as travel during the day light hours. Where ever you are seeing does now - you will probably see bucks - if there is any in your area.

im seeing a few slammers now...but outta bow range...

im seeing does every nite....

now on to rubs.... im seeing new rubs weekly huge ones..... ive tryed hunting these lines....but never see any bucks...

any response will be helpful
A rub line is a sign post that tells other deer that there is a buck in the area and this is his territory and to stay out unless he wants to mess with the resident buck. The process of polishing their antlers to take the velvet off only takes a few minutes and the deer will eat the velvet. I was told that it is full of protein.
A scrape is also a sign post, where the buck marks his territory and the does will visit the scrape to examine the bucks urine and scent and she will determine if she wishes to stick around and be bred.
The other bucks will visit the area and try to destroy the scent left by the buck that made the scrape and establish it's own scrape - so as to tell the other buck that he would like to breed the does that the other buck is in competition with.
A doe will come in heat once a month until she is bred.
If the resident buck is killed the next largest buck will take over his territory and will continue breeding the does until there is no more does to breed.
Even a yearling buck - spike can breed does.
The first major rut is the most aggressive rut and each rut that proceeds the first rut will be less dramatic because the buck will often go for weeks without eating or sleeping to ensure that he can breed as many does as possible and as many times as possible and to protect his territory.

After the rut is over, his first goal is to build up as much strength as possible to get him through the winter. That is why often times a buck will generally produce a lean cut of meat while a doe - which is trying to build up as much body fat as possible to get her through the winter and provide nourishment for it's fetus will be layered in a thick coating of fat - especially in the rump and backbone area.