HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Switched bullets and why?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
The tip of the bullet burns off in flight, especially if it is one of these new polymer tipped bullets.
I've been biting my tongue about this kid's comments for a while now, most of his posts are riddled with this type of mindless drivel, but I've tried hard to ignore it in hope that others will do the same, but I can't leave this one alone.

This is one of the dumbest "theories" I have ever heard. This kid has obviously NEVER fired into sandbags or water tanks to recover his bullets. The tip of a bullet DOES NOT erode in flight. Not even a polymer tipped bullet (especially not a polymer tip in fact). Period.

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
The goal of shooting deer isn't to see who can blow the biggest hole in it, but to use the cheapest bullet that will do the job.
Wow, really? I've been hunting deer for the better part of two decades and I had no idea that I needed an accounant! I've been hunting all wrong! I've been going out in the woods trying to make well placed shots with bullets that produce clean kills on BIG deer.

And I do hate to burst your bubble Deerhunter, but the Winchester SUPER-X SILVERTIP and the Winchester SUPREME BALLISTIC SILVERTIP are VERY DIFFERENT BULLETS!! The Silvertip is a flat based, copper jacket lead core bullet, but it has an aluminum tip. This harder tip makes it expand more slowly than typical soft point bullets used for deer hunting, providing deeper penetration. The Ballistic Silvertip is a polymer tipped, boat tail, moly coated copper jacketed lead core bullet that is suitable for deer at extended ranges, but does not penetrate deeply due to it's rapid expansion. I used the BST's extensively in college because I was using the same rig to hunt coyotes as well as whitetails and antelope, I never had any quarry argue with a well placed hit from a 150grn .30-06 BST.

Moral of the story? Make sure you know what you're talking about before you post next time.