HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tight chamber?
Thread: Tight chamber?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Wayspr
Typical Buck

Default Tight chamber?

I have a Browning A-bolt in .280 Rem that has about 300-350 factory rounds through it. I decided to work up a load for it even though it has always shot exceptionally well with factory Remington ammo. I measured my max length with a Hornady overall length gauge and seated my bullet about .02" from the lands. When I got to the range, I had a difficult time closing the bolt. At first I thought I didn't bump back the shoulder enough but I had one of the bullets stick in the rifling when opening the bolt. When I got back to the bench, I realized that the modified case was not seating all the way thus causing my Max COL to be incorrect. I attempted the chamber more cases without success. The sizing die was originally adjusted to about 1/4 turn beyond touching the shell holder. By increasing to about 1/2 to 5/8 additional turns I am finally able to barely chamber the cases. Could this rifle have an extremely tight chamber? Could a small base die help?
Additional info - once fired brass through this rifle; all factory ammo chambered fine