HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dog training for pheasant
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 AM
badshotbob
Nontypical Buck

Let me say that I am no expert in this area but can share what I'm going through with my 11 month old GSP at the moment. I tried to train a brittney years ago by myself and wound up with a worthless hunting dog. This go around I studied way more and got connected with a professional trainer at a pheasant farm.

Many believe a pup should be started on training right away (3mo's old) using pigeons, keeping it light and fun as already mentioned. I didn't have the opportunity to get my pup around birds until she was 9mo old. I did however do other work with her prior to this - the most important commands, whoa and come, as well as others.

The trainer I'm using trains from 6mo's old and on. Pigeons first with taped wings just to play with and fetch. Next session no tape, throw the bird and let the dog chase while shooting a cap pistol. Next session we moved to chukars and a 28 gauge shooting birds over her. Next we moved on to more chukars and a 20g. Next on to hen pheasants and a 12g. This method is how this trainer gun breaks a dog. It worked and worked extremely well. Next session we will move on to roosters and start the fine tuning process - steady on point, steady to shot, etc. This process seems to be working very effectively.

Things to do at home (the trainer gives me homework assignments), that have also helped out the process.

Whoa barrel - buy a blue plastic barrel and screw a 2x4 to the bottom so you can lay it on it's side and have it steady. Five minutes a day put the pup on the barrel and command whoa. If the pup gets down or slides off, don't scold, put the pup back on and keep doing this all the while you are petting and saying good dog. The idea is never to associate negatives. Pups learn quick.

"Find it" - tape a pheasant wing to a dummy (keep the dummy in a zip lock in the fridge, new wing every two weeks), put the dog in the crate or locked in a room. Get the dummy out ideally when the pup can see you, walk by the crate saying "want to find the bird?", clip a short lead on the dummy and walk it around laying down a scent trail and go hide it. Let the dog out and and excitedly command "FIND IT!". Every day put the dummy a little further away and harder to find. This not only teaches the dog to use their nose and the find it command, it makes them insane about birds, which is what you want in a bird dog.

Many have the talent and knowledge to train on their own. I do not thus the reason I'm spending money at a pheasant farm using a pro. I figure it'll be well worth it over the long haul to have a good dog that loves bird hunting.

Last edited by badshotbob; 10-06-2010 at 07:33 AM.