HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The post we ALL hate! --->
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 PM
BIG DONNIE BRASCO
Fork Horn

Default The post we ALL hate! --->

Went out Saturday for my first bow hunt of the season, sat in my spot for an hour, then right on cue, a nice 8 point buck strolls up from my left at a distance of 30 yards.
Everything was unfolding perfectly! Just as he was front and center, I took a deep breath, exhaled and drew my bow, then WHACK! My release either malfunctioned or I didn't have it set correctly.
This isn't my first rodeo and at 30 yards I have never had a problem hitting my mark.
My draw, was milliseconds away from my anchor when it surprised me by releasing. I THINK the arrow hit him in the far rear, upper hip.
He bolted, then looked back, and just started walking, then bounded into the woods about 100 yards away.
I looked for 3 HOURS for my arrow and blood and found neither. He was in a hay field that is about 18 inches tall so I can see losing the arrow, but not a single drop of blood.
If it was a hip muscle shot I can see this scenario fitting.

I guess my question is, if this is indeed what happened, what is your best guess as to the outcome for the deer?

I know all we can do is "guess" but I think it will help me get past this unfortunate accident if the general consensus is either "oh yea, slow painful certain death" or "he'll likely be fine, just sore for a few weeks".
Either way I can stop losing sleep over it!

Thanks a lot!

BDB