HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 22 "Tree Stand Slaughter House"
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 PM
pheasantfanatic
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by *twodogs*
Going to be a long post here guys.

Bunch of new posted signs went up last week all around me on a old farm I have hunted in the past. Last year a different 800 acre farm I have hunted most of my life, the farmer decides he wants no one hunting it since a guy decided to sell goose hunts without telling the farmer.

So tonight I go visit the homeowner who struck a lease deal with this other farmer (the one with all the posted signs). Turns out he has 12 guys on roughly 130 acres of hardwood, fixed stands all over the place. He asked me if I wanted to join the lease -I said no. With all those stands and hunting pressure, I'd be surprised if anyone bags a decent buck off that land. I'm more about passing the 2.5-3.5 year olds, all I heard tonight was deer drive...deer drive...deer drive. No offense to those that hunt this way, I just don't care much for deer drives since I bow hunt almost exclusively now.

Seems like as property taxes continue to rise all around my area, farmers are being forced into selling their hunting rights to the highest bidder. Funny thing is, after talking to the guy who leased the property, I stopped by the farm. Bob (farmer) was nice about it, but said exactly what I was thinking "James, every year it gets harder and harder to turn money out of the dirt. I hate having to get money like this but every little bit is key to survival"

The good thing is I still have my 30 acre honey hole which borders these two farms. Since I am the only one who can hunt this parcel I am hoping this new hunt club drives the deer my way. The guys heading up this new club knows this because he asked me to get this 30 acres in his club in exchange for membership into the deer drivers bonanza.
You sound like you're in the same boat as I am. I just found out that all of the land that I have hunted for years has been leased to out of state hunters...and the landowner(that I have grown up with his kids and have always asked permission to hunt every year) didn't even tell me...now I'm forced to drive an hour to my family's lease(we leased it simply because landowner offered it to us because out of state guys wanted to lease it, and he wanted us to have a chance at it first)to hunt. It's really good land, but since I'm in college, I really liked having the land to hunt that was only a mile from my house....oh well, at least I still have land to hunt...