HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bobcats...should I shoot them?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 05:19 PM
hillbillyhunter1
Nontypical Buck

Ya know, I've seen several posts of yours "mr deer hunter" and have yet to see one that is accurate. I could spend an entire page just teaching you about the things you got wrong in that one paragraph

these folks are crazy. don't shoot them just to do it for...for "deer management purposes"...its not reasonable

what I mean is that having a bobcat or three on the property is not going to significantly impact a deer heard. If you were overrun with cats (which is probably impossible) then maybe there'd be a cause for a control policy. Bobcats are solitary stealth hunters that could eat on a single deer for a great long while. They are opportunistic (duh) as is every predator. They have established individual territories, which means they aren't going to "take over", and although the territories may overlap a little, 1000+ acres per cat is normal...so the chances of that cat even being on your land at a given time are extremely slim. They have one litter per year, usually only a couple of kittens, and they are not all likely to survive. although I'd bet a single cat could kill a decent size deer if given the right circumstance, the mostly hunt rodents and birds.

that being said they are beautiful game animals and a wonderful
trophy. their scream can make your blood curdle...which is pretty cool in itself. I doubt many hunters have even seen one (even in areas where they are prevalent), so hunt them if you want (and legally can)....but don't think of them as moles in your yard.

All this is probably is probably academic as you'll probably never get a crack at one anyway...but anyway. good luck with your property