HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help with scope choice
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Mr. Deer Hunter
Banned

Originally Posted by the jigger
That's exactly what it is. I have chosen Nikon for all of my rifles primarily because I used Nikon cameras in my work for many years.
I have chosen Monarchs, Buckmasters and ProStaffs depending on the use of the rifle. There is no argument that there are better(maybe) scopes out there, but for the dollar spent IMHO you won't do better than NIKON.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
Im sorry but you are not comparing apples to apples here.

A Nikon camera has absolutely nothing to do with a Nikon scope.
They are two separate entities.

Because I have worked in the field of machining, I know a little about scope manufacture. One of the first things to look for in a rifle scope is a one tube manufacture. The second is a positive click type system. The third is the coating on the lens and the seal on the glass and the adjustments. Then you look at appearance and fit and eye relief. Once you get beyond that stage then you look at Parallax, if you can get past that, then you need to look at the amount of magnification and the size of the field of view at that amount of magnification. When you get beyond that stage - then you have to look at brightness and clarity.

All 3 of the scopes he has chose is by price only and not by performance. Choosing a scope - because of name of manufacture or reputation does not get you any closer on the paper to the bulls-eye then does picking a scope by magnification alone.

The end result is - you may never need a 15 power scope, but if you can buy a scope that you only need to shoot 3 shots to confirm from one year to the next that it has retained it's zero - the Bushnell Elite with rain guard 3200 5 x 15 is the clear choice winner.

Target knobs is just fine for a bench rest rifle, but has no real place in the woods where something can get knocked around or changed and forgot and then not set back to zero - which would mess up a normally good hunt.

In my younger days, when a person asked me a question like this, I would tell them to go down to Burger King and work a second job for a week or two to make the difference so they could purchase the better scope. But I have mellowed out in my old age and my opinion is that a person has to do what they have to do.
Some people would rather settle for something less then spectacular then wait and buy a better quality product when they could afford it. I would rather buy something once, use it for the rest of my life and then not have to worry about it then to buy the same piece of crap two or three times before I got what I wanted in the first place.

That was the problem that my brothers made the first time when they ran out and bought Leupold scopes on reputation only and not by actually looking through the scope and comparing it to other scopes...

There is only 3 or 4 machines in the whole world that grinds all the glass for all the rifle scopes made in the world. So trying to say that one is better then another would be like me trying to tell you that one brand of Good Year tire is better then another when they both have the same rubber compound and the same tread design.