HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - am i missing something?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Prairie Wolf
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jdhogg
sorry let me explain,no i really dont need to shoot that far.i was just thinking how many times ive been told the 30-06 is too small for hunting larger animals.i was just saying the old girl can be setup for just about anything.i was on another site and they preached the need for a 338 or larger.i was commenting on the ability of the 06.sorry if it sounded different
The aught six is plenty for the average Joe. To shoot beyond the effective range of the '06 requires skill that most don't posses. She's actually more gun than many can handle.

Most of the people telling you different are idiots. I can't conceive of anything on this continent that requires a ".338 or larger". Except maybe brown bears. Even then it isn't a requirement.

In Sweden, the most common round for moose is the 6.5x55, which is substantially less power than the '06.

This is in now way meant to disparage magnums. I own a 7 wsm and hope to get good enough hunt at long range. There's no such thing as too much gun as long as you can shoot it accurately.