HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shotgun Choke
Thread: Shotgun Choke
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 AM
Teddee5
Fork Horn

My two cents.
All stainless steel chokes are safe with Steel. SS is hard. Most extra full chokes are marked not for steel. May produce blown patterns or just a precaution by the ammo manuf. that excessive pressures produced by the squeezing of the steel might cause. Steel won't compress like lead.
When steel was first loaded by the ammo makers, it had a tendency to produce a spike in pressure immediately, however, now the powders and wads used do not have that tendency. They learned.
The reason that the whole broohaw started about steel and chokes was due to the fact that steel shot was harder than most bbls. The older duck hunters, some who may have reloaded steel bb's,( bb gun bb's) believing it aided in knocking down geese, ( and I knew a few) found out when steel was mandated and they took their full choke shotguns to have the chokes opened for the newfangled steel shot, that the choke was already opened. By. the steel bb's. the smith said. I had in the past saw bbls. that were scored and never knew why. It is a testimony to the strength of the older guns, that they weren't blown by the excessive pressure the steel bb's caused must have caused. Or maybe some were? But the bb's were light.
Of course as always, just IMHO only.
I really don't know if exterior chokes and or expensive ones make any difference. I do know that I had one of the first citoris with screw ins and shot a lot of the first steel thru it without any apparent damage. And ate a lot of mallards. Most of my shooting is over decoys and IC is usually my choice of chokes for ducks and geese.