HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by jdhogg
big country,
you are a optical engineer,is there anyway you can show what the actual light transmission is on these scopes?such as the leupold,bushnell nikon and vortex?im just curious.i read where the burris is 95% and the vx2 is only 88%.this is where i think alot of folks are wondering,we all know every company for anything kind of fibs on their products.im not trying to stir the pot i feel the customers should be informed by facts on what they are buying.
I can measure and do measure on occasion. We coat lenses for free space optics and other goverment applications. So the expertise is a tad different.

But I have yet to see any of these scopes meet the specs they claim at 850nm. Maybe its my setup. My limit is little out of visual light due to our equipment.

The 30mm black diamond I had, was very clear. But the most important thing to me when buying a scope is not just being clear.

In the last 5 years, all scope mfg, has done a fantastic job nailing down recipies for coatings. I do have equipment for back reflection, and most scopes I tested has almost zero back reflection. But there's more to it than one wavelength. One has to understand how the human eye recieves light, and what light the brain understands in wavelength at various times of day.

When I buy a long range scope, it needs to track true. black diamond did not. Second, I need copious amount of MOA adjustment. Leupold and Ziess rule here. Lastly, I need copious amounts of eye relief. This is wehre leupold, and ziess rule.

The burris signature series I owned was aweful with eye relief. Nikon is so so. It doesn't matter for my 204 and 223 but very important for my 7mmSTW, or RUM's.

Vortex imo is a gimmick with excellent marketing. They litterly own less than 2% of the market. They do have excellent marketing campaign and have signed up many good people to push them.

Last edited by bigcountry; 09-22-2010 at 06:32 AM.