HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Giving away my first deer, need help and advice!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 PM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

I thought about that. But in my experience, summer sausage and the like is a little hard to chew, but maybe I'm not thinking about it right. I'm just trying to imagine myself with no teeth. It still has to be refrigerated though, right? So I couldn't do the whole deer like that at once. Which makes me wonder, how are the sausages, jerkys and other prepared meats that AREN'T in the refrigerated section preserved?? Didn't they used to find ways to keep meats from spoiling at room temperature in the old days?

Back to the subject...as far as ground venison goes, well, he'd still have to thaw it and cook it, and that's where I'd get concerned. Maybe he can handle it but I just don't know. I guess I could plan to butcher and freeze the entire animal and thaw and further process it as needed, a little at a time. That way, I can see what works and what doesn't, and not waste anything in the process by giving it to him all at once.

The thought of grinding backstraps and tenderloins makes me want to cry though...