HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Giving away my first deer, need help and advice!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Default Giving away my first deer, need help and advice!

Long story short, there is an older man, Floyd, who lives in a shack of a farmhouse and is physically and mentally handicapped. I'm not making fun of him, but the guy talks like Farmer Fran of "The Waterboy", so it's hard to ascertain his exact needs, even when you ask him direct questions. If you don't know the character I'm referring to, here's a short clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3wuSO59OdM

I live about an hour away from him, but I still really want to help him out. I was able to do several things for him when I visited him today, but I want to make sure he is well-fed too. I decided this season that I would donate the first deer I killed to a family or individual in need. This guy definitely fits the bill.

The problem is that he doesn't appear to have many teeth, if any. I didn't pry his lips back, so I can't be certain how many he actually has, but his lips are folded over. I asked him if he can eat venison, and he said SOMETHING LIKE, "Oh yeah. With sugar on it." Now to my knowledge, sugar doesn't tenderize meat, but what do I know?

Anyway, sometimes venison can be quite tough, and the only way I know of to make it so that it isn't tough, is to cook it JUST RIGHT. The problem with that is that I can't just hop over to his house every night and whip up a venison dinner. I want to give him the meat in a way that will keep for a good long time, but will be easy for him to eat. He does have a freezer and refrigerator (I noticed a package of frozen chicken breasts in the freezer), but I don't know what his cooking abilities are.

I would LOVE to just jerk an entire deer for him, but I think that would be way too tough for him. But then again, I'm not sure!! Anyone know of a way to prepare and package venison so that it will be as tender as possible??

Any input would be appreciated. Sorry this was so long and rambling!!