HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Obvious Problem in Colorado
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 06:31 AM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Default Obvious Problem in Colorado

Ok, I'm from NY. Been to Colorado 3x's to archery hunt Elk. 2006, 2008, and just got back from my 8 day 2010 hunt, primetime Elk season. I hunt the White River National Forest, Flat Tops everytime out. Each year out seen less Elk, and more cattle. This time the cattle were all over the place!! In one meadow alone I counted 200 head, and that was just in open. There was more hanging in brush! I spoke to some other black powder hunters camped in area, and they informed me usually hunt other National areas in Colorado, but last year experienced bad hunting and more cattle. So thought they'd try the famous Flat Tops for better luck. All said was just as bad if not worse. Every trail you walk is cow patties all over. I learned from a outfitter you cannot drink the water in the area now. Even if filter it. That some their workers/guides got sick with diarrhea for 3-4 days from the water. They believe Ecoli from cow dung has gotten into the water there. I always bring my own bottled water so I was ok. I found a pond on top of a mtn flat that had been destroyed by cattle. The pond was covered with cattle tracks, and patties. The water was all greenish brown. I took pics of it.
I learned the US Cattlemans Association has put big $ into politicians pockets so ranchers can put more cattle on Fed. lands for grazing. I also found a ranchers new cabin, and make shift cattlebarn built in the forever wild- non motorized vehicle area of the Flat Tops with a truck trail, and truck tracks leading to it. Theres a trail head sign right at the start of the wild lands that reads No Motorized vehicles. But yet the rancher appears to be allowed special access. I'd get ticketed if I was caught doing it, and so would anyone else.
Its obvious to me the Fed's, and Colorado Division of Wildlife care more about $, than the natural lands, and wildlife population. I'm personally writing a complaint letter, and sending the pond pic to them. I think its time hunters stood up to this. I fear the hunting, will only grow worse, and this will lead to less license sales, and will hurt what hunters come to enjoy about Colorado. Its definitly a growing problem!!!

Last edited by BuckAlley; 09-19-2010 at 06:41 AM.