HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Busted By Doe
Thread: Busted By Doe
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Mr. Deer Hunter
Banned

We had a hunting camp in Pennsylvania - about 5 miles up the road from my mom's house and I can remember dad throwing apples at two young deer and the deer eating the apples.

They had seen my dad from the time they were very young, while he was cutting grass. The camp yard was full of apple trees and to two young deer that had no fear of humans - it was like eating at the all you can eat buffet at Denny's. Come hunting season, my Uncle who owned the camp shot the one and I shot the other.

There were times where we were cutting timber and was running chainsaws and stopped to do something and looked behind us and there were deer there 30 feet away - eating browse off the tree tops.

Most urban deer have come to accept humans as a part of their lives and it doesn't make much difference to them one way or the other - as long as you are moving - it doesn't bother them.
When you sit down somewhere and decide to stay there - that is when it gets more tricky.

There are people who lives at Treasure Lake - up near Du Bois PA that will tell you that they have deer in their yards every day - that you can set your watch by them. Some of them comes walking around the side of the house - right down the side walk like family pets. Deer are real stupid - that is as long as you are not trying to archery hunt them. As soon as an arrow goes Zip - they get smart in a big hurry.