HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dog training for pheasant
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Teddee5
Fork Horn

I don't understand why you cannot get them without a dog. Granted, it is more difficult. Perhaps you don't know how. With one person, very difficult, but with two people, you only need to catch one bird between the two of you. One walk from one direction, the other from the other. You can confuse the bird and when he does flush (as he cannot run) shoot the sucker. This can be worked from a corner just as well. Each enter from either side of a corner, say 50 or even better 75 yds. from each side. Gradually work your way, slowly is the key, towards the corner. If that does not work, you have the smartest pheasants I ever saw.
AS far as the dog, very good advice so far. But have you introduced any live bird to the dog as of yet? Obtain a pigeon or such. Clip the wing so it cannot fly and introduce to your dog. If there is intense interest, fine. You would be surprised the number of hunting dogs that may show no interest at all. I would not want to waste my time, or the dogs, unless I know, that dog WILL HUNT. It is heart breaking to obtain a fine dog, with high price, that won't hunt.

Last edited by Teddee5; 09-14-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: addition.