HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - English Springer Spaniels?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Jimmy S
Nontypical Buck

I have a Springer that turned 8 years old in May. We got him from a friend when he was 11 months old. He was never exposed to any type of hunting. I took him out that first Autumn and he had no clue what he was hunting for, he never seen or smelled any birds. Once he "got it" he began to do what he was bred for. Today he's a dedciated, relentless bird dog that lives to be afield. Very little bird training was ever done. I hunted with a close friend that taught both my dog and I what's to be expected when we hunt birds. He also went through 3 levels of obedience training, beginning - intermediate and advances. To me, that's THE most important part of the training needed to be a good hunter. Your dog must always obey any and all commands given to him.

Our Springer has great lineage. His dad was a ch composition dog as was 5 of 8 on that said but his mother was a ch field dog, with 7 of 8 field ch on her side. What we got was a "pretty, bird dog", that loves more to hunt (for me), than anything else, when we go chasing those NH pheasants. We usually do very well in those few short weeks and he has gotten his share without our help. Since most pheasants would rather run than fly, he goes into the nastiest stuff, loaded with briars and thorns to get that bird. He has caught them as they were beginning their flight.

He is also a very loving, family dog. Dedicated to his family every minute of every day and dedciated to hunting birds when the leaves start to turn.

Here's a pic of Ranger Pete:

Last edited by Jimmy S; 09-11-2010 at 06:26 AM.