HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Am I wrong?
Thread: Am I wrong?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 PM
UPHunter08
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by *twodogs*
That is elitist IMO. It's basically the same principals only applied to a different hunting implement: control your breathing, pick your spot, squeeze the trigger....
Heh...if you think asking someone to spend a little extra time to become familiar with their equipment is elitist, so be it. I plead guilty. I gun hunt and bow, for the record. I can tell you it was much easier mastering hunting with a gun than it was with a bow. I think most of us here would agree that it takes less skill to take down a deer with a scoped rifle at 100 yards than it does one with a bow at 30-35 yards.

If there's no difference in skill level and practice required, please explain to me why there are far fewer archers than gun hunters.

I do agree with you that 20 yards and in is a lot easier, but a lot of new bow hunters don't often know the difference between a 20 yard shot and a 40 yard one...and we're simply saying that they usually need more than a couple days of practice to really be ready to know the difference.

I think some of you are reading a lot more into comments like mine than was intended. All we're saying is that the guy probably needs a little more preparation than he thinks. That's all. When he's ready to go, it will be apparent.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 09-02-2010 at 06:17 PM.