HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Am I wrong?
Thread: Am I wrong?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 PM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Well, yes and no. I'd discourage anyone from picking up a bow and start hunting within a week. That said, proper coaching with todays modern compounds will get you hitting the bullseye over and over in a short time. I had my buddy up 3 times between May and August. He didn't practice much outside of that... but some. I had him hitting the bullseye in a no time and stacking arrows tight at 20 in a couple lessons. He killed 4 deer that fall. He killed 8 last fall, his second season. Mind you, the bow was tuned and set up for his draw length from the get go. All he had to do was listen and shoot. A couple key preshot routines will help him not to panick. You got to talk him through it. For Pete's sake, he's your brother-in-law. Talk him through it, help him get a bow, teach him(short lessons at first) Don't over bow or over draw him. He should be ready in a couple weeks to try it. No way would I tell my brother in law or nephews or close friends... you're out because I don't think you're good enough. Let him find that out. Help him understand. Teach him. Heck, how many bad shots and hits do you see from "THE Experts" on TV. He can't be that bad. It's not rocket science. Yes you may practice all year and you benefit from it, the ability to hold for long times and all that. 20 yard shots become slam dunks.... but not everyone is geared that way. Give him a chance and a helping hand.

Last edited by davidmil; 09-02-2010 at 01:19 PM.