HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Brace Height Decrease-Will it mess me up?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 PM
drockw
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, the bh one can handle depends on more than just the actual number of inches in bh itself...

First of all, what bow are you coming from? And what bows are you looking at?

If your currently shooting say a bowtech general which has an 8+" bh then you will likely not notice a whole lot of difference. On the other hand, if you are coming from a longer axle to axle bow with a more neutral, or deflexed riser, you will definately notice that the bow is harder to shoot.

A short brace height bow can absolutely be shot. They just make you work a bit harder to keep em in the bullseye. There are also other geometry factors that make a bow forgiving though, so dont put all of your eggs in the bh basket

If you think you are doing pretty well, I say go for it man... The worst thing that will happen is that you will realize its not for you, and you can go back to something with a bit more... The only way to learn and find out though is trial and error imho...

BTW, I've owned bows with anywhere from 5.5"bh(pse omen) to a 8 5/8"bh(hoyt pro-elite)

The omen certainly made me work harder, but I could shoot it well enough to do what I wanted with that particular bow, which was kill deer.