HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thompson Center Hawken 45 cal. - Help!
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 07:28 AM
lemoyne
Giant Nontypical

1: What powder do I use & how much - pellets??
Pyrodex is my #1 choice as APP is very weak and attracts moisture and 777 is hard to ignite in my TC 45 and has a horrible crud-ring which is hard to get out and must be cleaned out every shot . Use P Pyrodex and swab every 3to 5 shots as needed to maintain accuracy. Try 50 and 55 grains
2: I was told NOT to use anything but a roundball... true/false & why?
You can use Maxie balls or other conical usually with 40 to 50 grins of P. If you use power belts plug the hollow point for use on deer or they may act like a fragmenting bullet.
3: What percussion cap should I use? CCI mag or RWS are good
4: Any other tips/suggestions/advice would be GREAT!
A .440 ball and a ticking patch works great with 55 grains of P in mine.
5: ANY IDEA what the value of this gun would be? Depends on the condition if mint around 300.
6: Does anyone have anything I need just collecting dust that they'd be willing to let go for a reasonable price?
Don't need much. A powder measure best is a TC view through, a short starter [made from a 3/8 hickory doll and a wood ball from the craft shop] a good ram rod a couple of jags and some cleaning patches [make from a flannel sheet material]a can of powder.