HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Federal Judge puts wolves back on ESA.
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 AM
rather_be_huntin
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gromky
I'm not going to feel sorry for you, if it's no longer necessary to take a bunch of cows at the end of the season because there are too many. Hunting is entirely based upon conservation and population numbers. Wolves should be controlled as well, but at the moment deer kill more people than any other animal.
That's where we disagree slightly. I feel hunting is about conservation and population control as you said but it's also about tradition, friends, family bonding, and experiencing the outdoors the way our ancestors did. You make is sound like hunting is a necessary evil or something along those lines.

If the elk and deer numbers in your area are healthy that's great, good for you guys. But look at this from the 30,000 foot view rather than just your own corner of the world. Other areas are being severly impacted and it's much more than the loss of a late cow hunt. To make it worse the fed's are allowing them to grow in population without control which is contrary to your above statement anyways.

You may not feel sorry if we lose a late cow hunt and you shouldn't for me. I would however feel sorry for my 12 year daughter who is going on her first elk hunt every later this winter for a cow. She wasn't old enough to hunt in the fall, her birthday is in November. I will also feel sorry for all the hunters we may lose because overall less tags are available.

If you are a real hunter you know that only roughly 14 million people hunt in the US and that the overall population is around 300 million. This means we are already a minority group and to keep hunting around we need everyone we can to buy a tag and learn of the joys hunting can bring. Less tags is not the answer.

Besides I'll say it one more time in plain English......wolves were reintroduced and being protected ferociously to end all need for hunters at all. I can provide numbers if you like to prove just about everything I've said here if you'd like......don't be the guy that can't see past your own backyard.