HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to the forum, new to deer hunting....
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM
a_tack
Spike

Default New to the forum, new to deer hunting....

Hello all. I am a 24 year old from Kentucky. I have been shooting all of my life and squirrel hunting for some time now. It wasnt until I was 21 however that I got into deer hunting. My first season was pretty uneventful. I got to see one of my friends kill a large doe but wasn't able to kill a deer myself. I used my dad's old Marlin 336. I then ran across a deal-and-a-half on a Remington 700. A friend of mine had bought a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm mag and equipped it with a Bushnell trophy 4-12x40 scope. He never shot it. He needed some money adn kept talking about wanting a handgun. I had a Hi-point .45 that someone had given me as a gift. I trader him this pistol and $200 for the unfired remington and a box of 7mm mag. It took me a while to get used to the rifle as it was a BIG jump in power from the old 30-30. Well, Deer season 08 rolled around and I went hunting with an older friend of the family. He set me up on a small 6 point at about 100 yards. I got so excited that I pulled the shot and missed about 6 inches high. I was heartbroken. That evening, my wife and I went to stay with her parents (a few counties away). The next morning I got up (they have 55 acres surrounded by family owned property) and went up the hill. About 2 hours later I bagged my first deer ever. A nice little 8 point.

I was very pleased. I had to have more..... so for christmas I got a Traditions .50cal black powder rifle. On to Deer season 09. The older friend of the family invited me to come back to his property to hunt. I had to redeem myself. It was early muzzle loader season. I sat for 8 hours and saw nothing. As I got up to go relive myself behind a tree I heard a branch break down the hill. A nice sized buck came out of the brush line about 70 yards away. I took aim and pulled the trigger. When the smoke cleared i saw this guy laying on the ground...

Another 8 point. I love deer hunting and cant wait to go this year. Sorry for the long first post, I just thought I would share my story. So, I ask you more experienced hunters, any must know tips for deer hunting? I have been shooting for a long time and know all of my gun safety. I'm just looking for some pointers to enhance deer hunting this year.. thanks!