HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What sort of ammo do I use for waterfowl hunting?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 PM
NCZ09
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by juspassinthru
Sounds like you may have an older shotgun only shoot's 2 3/4 need to check to see if the barrel will be able to shoot steel some older guns wont handle it and by all means get with some waterfowlers and pick their brains there is so much to know and regulations good luck
Your gun will probably be okay, but this is good advice. Back in the day shotgun barrels were not made to handle the hard steel shot loads or some of the other non-toxic loads we use today. Your gun could be fine, but only being able to shoot 2 3/4 loads kinda of raises a red flag. Also it may have a fixed full choke barrel which could make things worse. My Dad shot steel shot through his old model 97 for years. Until I finally convienced him its not a good idea. I would ask someone that knows about the gun or get a hold of the manufacture to make sure. Hopefully your gun is good to go, and then all you have to do is learn the basics. The rest you can learn as you go. I've been waterfowl hunting for 25 years and I'm still not an expert.