HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for campsite locations for DIY Elk hunt
Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

I'm not an expert, but I'll share my thoughts with you. Sleep low and hunt high. This will be better for your breathing, health, sleeping. If it snows in the night, your camp will be less heavily snowed upon and it will be easier to retreat off the mountain if heavy snows compell this. Additionally, it may mean you can stay on the mountain while others camped higher up may have to retreat off the mountain. Do camp close to water.

How far from your elk hunting areas? Good question. You hear all kinds of things. I think I've read about elk walking through elk camp -- while the hunters are out hunting elk, of course. Still, I would think that a mile away from the elk would be marginal; 3 miles away from the elk ought to be adequate. Additionally, you probably ought to be able to cover 3 miles in an hour or less on a horse, so that is close enough to get to your hunting area by maybe 30 minutes before shooting light. I suggest you think about this problem on the basis of how long it takes you to get from camp to your hunting spot. If it is more than an hour, that is probably too far away.