HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Live Ducks As Training Dummies?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 AM
J Pike
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cessna Flyer
Mine had been dealing with cripples and other slight issues of after shot birds wings flapping him in the face all before 2 years old. Now enter the hunt test game, I cannot tell you how many dogs I have seen run up to a crippled duck just used as a live flyer that didn't get shot dead, or ducks that are dead but the wings keep flapping and see either senario and come running back. Seen one dog pick up the bird, and as soon as the wing hit the dogs nose the dog dropped the bird and would not bring it back. I never understood that then or today, are these dogs in hunt tests our hunting partners or just ribbon getters for a title and higher breeding cost and no nothing about hunting?

I use live birds when I can get them, and yes my dog is titled, and my hunting partner.

Skiftcky, I see you live in Kansas, if you are close enough to Higginsville, MO give K&L kennels a call and talk to Mike. he can help you with live bird training
Many dog owners that compete in hunting tests have never hunted a day in their lives and had the desire to kill any thing. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 07-13-2010 at 11:34 AM.