HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Grace property hunting club...hardy county wv
Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Rem1100
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner

As far as no deer on the farmland around baker, I'm callin BS, I hunt this area every year, the population is down from years ago but I still see 30-50 deer per day with about 8-15 bucks in the bunch.
Its been established that this area can carry 18-26 deer per square mile, we still have over 40, so they are still overpopulated. Do not expect to see these numbers on grace, its just too desolate and rough to hold that many deer. with a good mast crop you'll see plenty of deer there once you learn to hunt it, and its nothing like anywhere you hunted before.
RR
over 40 deer per acre? not around Baker,Pal... nowhere close. My friends' farm is off Parker Hollow Rd, and not 5 yrs ago, you could see 40 deer while driving that road, count 'em now, Pal... you'll be lucky to see 10. You can't blame growth, as there's only been about 3 new homes built there, and to say the deer are overpopulated is wrong..they aren't NEAR carrying capacity, and won't be, unless things change(poaching has increased as well in that area). Like I said, look at the harvest totals over the past 5 years.. 2009 Buck harvest fro WVDNR.Gov:

2005 2006 2007 2008 2009
Hardy----- 1,961- 2,178- 2,111- 2,046 - 1,601

in fact, the entire District 2 has had declining harvests of Deer AND turkey.. it was 1 of only 2 that showed repetetive decline of Gobblers this year.. District 1 was the other..ALL other areas showed increases. So as far as your calling BS, you better get yer facts straight before you speak....the numbers don't lie.