HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What should I expect for crossbow accuracy?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Cossack
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ACutting
That is amazing on the accuracy. The archery shop I bought my fathers Excalibur at obviously is not away on how to properly tune the crossbow and arrow setup. The best I have been able to get out of his crossbow is about 5" at 50 yards. That is on a calm day with little to no breeze. If the wind kicks up at all that is exagerated even further. How would you go about tuning this crossbow to increase accuracy? I thought about getting one for myself but I can't hunt with it and with the grouping I had no benefit accuracy wise.
Make sure all the bolts and screws are tight on the bow first. Then address the arrows.
Cropssbows perform best with an arrow that has high Forward of center (FOC) ratio, like 16 to 20%, 4 bladed, low profile broadheads (small) and smallish vanes, like 2" Blazers. Low FOC and big vanes and heads can cause the arrow to rotate wildly around it's rear axis and plane unpredictably.
I'm getting phenomenal accuracy-from 3 bows-using 405 gr arrows: Gold Tip Lazer II, 110 brass insert and Blazers (+18% FOC). I generally hunt with 100 Gr Slick Tricks or Spitfires. Consistently hitting (the nose) on my bag target with a deer applique at 30 yards with 5 arrows in no challenge if I do my part.
PS for the Cyclone I just up the head weight to 125 grs, and aluminum moon nocks for 440 grs (20% FOC).
http://www.lmariana.com/foc.htm

Last edited by Cossack; 07-02-2010 at 07:33 AM.