HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - So crossbow are legal now......
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Sniggle
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cartman308
blahblahblahblbhalbhalbh

You can tell the people that have never used a crossbow............

Go ahead and allow them in the NORMAL archery season. It won't change anything. Last time I check Ohio has allowed crossbows for many many years. Big, no HUGE bucks are taken there every year.

Fact is crossbows (most of them, there are a couple exceptions with VERY large price tags) have equal range (at best) as a modern compound.

Modern compounds are EASIER to move through the woods with.

Modern compounds are typicaly FASTER than crossbows (yes there are some VERY EXPENSIVE exceptions).

Modern compounds are quieter.

Modern compounds are easier to shoot without a rest (as in sandbags, tree, etc not an arrow rest).

The "slob hunter" everyone is so afraid of will by a cheap crossbow, take it hunting. miss three deer at 75+ yards. Cuss the POS crossbow and never go hunting again with it.

If you ever used a crossbow you know that they are not an advantage. I wont use on until I have to.
There is no way you can equate shooting a compound bow and a cross bow, except for approx. equal range and speed of projectile. Those who do are just being disingenuous.

A crossbow is a 'gun' version of a bow, and only differ from a gun in that there is a mechanical means to propel the projectile vs. a chemical means. Thats it.

A bow, whether it be a compound or a trad bow, requires very precise and practiced form, muscle control, a most importantly excellent timing when pulling back for the shot.

I can understand folks wanting crossbows during archery season....if you don't want to take the time to learn how to shoot a bow well yet you want to be able to spend more time in the woods hunting the crossbow is your ticket.

The arguement that shooting a crossbow takes about the same skill as shooting a compound bow is just stupid. I would be willing to bet anyone $1000 that if I went to a rifle range, grabbed 10 folks who had never shot a bow, and then spent 1 hour teaching each of them how to shoot a crossbow and a compound bow, those 10 would all be proficient with the crossbow and would still be in the steep part of the learning curve with the compound bow.

Add in the extreme difficulty involved with picking the right time to draw a compound bow, and it is clear that the X-bow is not in the same class as either a trad or compound bow.