HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - So crossbow are legal now......
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

if you feel so strongly about xbows should have there own season, then take that up with your state reps
No hope there. I don't have the kind of money that buys their votes. Unfortunately the crossbow industry does.

That easier weapon is already been added to the bow seasons - the compound. Way harder to successfuly hunt with real bows - lonbows and recurves. That is why less then 10% of those hunting the bow seasons use them - too much work to bother with.
LOL! Thanks, you are making my point. Look what compounds did to the use of recurves and long bows. But that's water under the bridge. I was a child when compounds came on to the scene and therefore I was not involved in the debate. By the time I got into archery compounds were the overwhelming dominate force in the archery world so it's no shock that's what I came to use. But now the logic seems to be that since one step was taken towards a more modern bow then all bets are off trying to prevent anything with a string from being used. I don't follow or subscribe to that logic.

A compound still has to be drawn and held at full draw. You have to learn how to shoot it with good consistent repeatable form just like you do any bow. Yes, it's easier than learning to master a long bow. But it still involves the same dynamics.

By comparrison there is not a single skill involved with shooting a recurve or long bow that is required or used in firing a crossbow. They are completely disimilar. A crossbow is ****ed and remains that way on it's own. You aim it exactly like you do a gun. It can easily be fired from a rested position. It can and usually is fitted with a scope that helps you see better in low light situations. And despite the vastly exaggerated IBO speeds you see listed for most bows the speed of crossbows are almost always much faster than what the average bow hunter is getting.

Ask yourself this, if a crossbow wasn't much easier than a compound then why would their legalization get more people out there as their defenders claim? I mean if compounds were just as simple then why wouldn't all those people already be out there using one? Food for thought.