HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shotgun Mic Recommendations for Canon GL1
Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 PM
BoneDriven
Spike

Originally Posted by brodyb51
Thanks Bone Driven, that was very helpful. I think I am going to just start with the shotgun mic but will most likely want to add wireless. I have been shooting my own hunts for a couple years now but the stock mic on my GL1 is lacking. Do you think the shotgun mic will be enough or will I need wireless as well?
Yea I wouldn't rely on the onboard mic either.. a good shotgun mic is one of your best investments along with supports (Tripods/Tree Arms)
Audio quality and steady footage is what's going to make or break you.

A shotgun mic alone will do you fine in most cases, you can get away with only a shotgun mic for sure! In most cases, you will have the cam in the same tree as you and with a good shotgun mic you should be able to pick up everything (Whispers/Quiet Talking).. Wireless mic is really only needed if you are hunting a distance from your cameraman, walking ahead of him with your back turned to the camera (trailing a deer) and maybe a few other cases such as interviews and hero shots.. but even for interviews and hero shots a wireless isn't NEEDED, just recommended when focusing on the voice in specific, rather than trying to catch all the sounds in the forest, if you know what I mean.