HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you use topographic maps for hunting?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 PM
thndrchiken
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tight360
I'm surprised that this day and age that hunters even use topo's, what with the GPS cheat. I still use my 8 digit co-ordinates, I love the challenge, and keeping the skeeeellls sharp! Reminds of the time that I was sending newbies down the commo shop for spools of "contour" line.
Me too. I plan out my scouting with the topo maps, use the gps in the field in conjunction with the them to mark waypoints of what would be good stand or blind locations, deer sightings, etc. I always have a compass with me as well, you never know you might lose the gps, take a fall and break it or who knows mugged in the woods although I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to try and mug an armed hunter.

Reminds me of the days of sending boots to the radio shack for sound powered phone batteries or to the HT shop for an HT punch, DC Central for bulkhead remover. Telling the boots to report a CGU11 or B1RD to the bridge. Oh those were the days.