HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Long drive, short hunt!
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Matchbook454
Fork Horn

Default Long drive, short hunt!

Well, I left my house in Gilberts Friday morning at 4:30 to head to my relatives farm in Central WI. I pulled in about 9:10 a.m. and didn't even unload my things, just my gear. We loaded everything into the back of my uncles Mule and he drove me out to our spot and I got set up around 9:40. After an hour I had 2 jakes run into my decoys from about 120 yards out. It was funny to see them race each other! The came right into the decoys at 15 yards and stuck around for about 15 minutes and then left. About an hour later the same two jakes came back, monkeyed around with the decoys for a bit and left again. I watched them cross the field and then join up with a hen and continue off. About 30 minutes later I noticed a red and white head sneking along the fence line at 20 yards heading straight to my decoys. I raised my gun and waited for him to get into the openening where my decoys where and saw that he was a long beard. I putted a couple times to get him to raise his head and he wouldn't so I just shot and dropped him! My best tom so far this season - 24 lbs., 10" beard, 1.125" spurs - NWTF score 66.5!