HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Too many decoys?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Jackson Bowner
Fork Horn

In my experience, when the Toms are henned up, they will rarely leave their girls to come investigate. Even when there is more than one Tom with the hens. I can understand the dominant Tom staying put, but have never understood why the subordinate Toms will stay with the flock. I am sure there are those who have been able to call a Tom or two off a flock of hens, but I am just saying that in my experience it doesn't happen. However, when I know this is happening, I try to make aggressive and long , loud calls. What I am hoping to do it call the hen(s) to me. Sometimes an irritated dominant hen will come to your call to give you what for and she will lead the boys in. I had this happen twice opening morning. Once for my daughter and then once for me. It has happened a couple of other times in the past. But most of the time, I am not successful getting a hen to come in. By the way, the gobblers are responding to your call because they are calling for you to join the flock. That's just the way it is. You'd like to think they are responding and going to come in, but a lot of times, they are waiting for you. Try to figure where they are going and set up in their path if you can. That will sometimes work.