HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got a Question! Turkey shells Vs. Cheap Loads
Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Bullet Hole Bailey
Nontypical Buck

Default Got a Question! Turkey shells Vs. Cheap Loads

Well Lately I have really been doing a lot of patterning with the Good ole 870 Express Super Mag and a Tight wad choke. I thought those 3.5"s were the way to go but now, a couple years later and with a sore cheek that hates the mule kick of those monsters, I'm starting to think otherwise.

Now, I patterned my gun with a cheap load (Remington Nitro) of 3.5" 2oz #4's and at 35 yards I was getting 130 to 140 pellets in a 10" circle. I bought some Hevi-13 #6's but at 5$ a pop I cant justify patterning those! So I decided to see what some dove loads would pattern like. Kind of suprised me! A winchester STEEL Dove load, 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #7's put 190 pellets in the same 10" circle. This load is stated to be moving at 1200 fps, so I'm thinking that it will kill a turkey just as dead but I am curious if, for shooting at 30 yards and under, if there is even any advantaged to the 3.5" or just stick to those sweet little 2 3/4" shells?

Thanks!!