HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 5 Thundering Toms
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 12:51 PM
ksfowler
Nontypical Buck

Alright here is the pictures and story. When I got to my spot this morning I thought I was going to be in trouble. I bet I did not hear 10 gobbles on the roost. Normally it is hundreds. Finally once they were on the ground they gobbled a little more. I was hunting out of one of those pop up blinds and I had set it on the back side of a ceder tree to block me from the turkeys as the approach. Well at 7 I look behind me and there were like 4 hens and 2 jakes i looked at them through the binos and turn back around and see 3 hens right in front of me so I figured that a tom would be right behind them well I was wrong. They start to feed out in front of me so I turn around to look at the other ones and there is a tom strutting about 10 yards away. At this point my gun was still facing the direction that I figured they would come(which was completely wrong). So I slowly start reaching for my gun when something catches my eye. Two more strutters walk in and try and run off the first tom. He just leaves and the other two are just standing there waiting to be shot by my gun which is behind me. Luckly those blinds allow you to get away with quite a bit of movement. I reach behind me and find my gun and get it ready. I stick the barrel out the window just as the first tom walks into view, well it turns out to be a jake that has a full fan and about a 2" beard. He got a free pass but the one behind it wasnt so lucky he came into view and just as he does he pops his head up and that was the last thing he did. After I shot the hens flew a little and the jake that was with him ran about 50 yards and went back to strutting. So I waited for them to get out of eyesight of me I went and claimed my prize. It turned out to be the second biggest turkey that I have ever taken.