HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey cross a river?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 AM
cataraft
Spike

Both me and my brother-in-law harvested longbeards that we were able to call across a lake this year. I was right under mine while he was on the roost. He flew across the lake out of the roost and then I was able to call him back across after about five minutes or so. My brother-in-law's bird was on the other side and he called him across. Both birds were taken right on the shore where they landed and the lake was about 150 yards wide. It was more like a strange kind of duck hunting than turkey hunting but it was definitely cool. Mine rolled into the lake after the shot and with the wings flapping started swimming towards the middle. I got a little wet getting that bird out. You might want a retriever if your near water.
These were lightly pressured Rio's.
I think it probably has more to do with where the hen's are than anything. If he wants you he'll come look for you but if the hens are on that side you're chances are slim. My advice would be to roost them and hunt that side in the morning although when you do that they'll probably fly to the other side right out of the roost- Murphy's Law.