HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need a little help.
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 12:40 PM
StillHunter90
Typical Buck

Default Need a little help.

Hey all. I have never posted on the Turkey forums before because honestly I have never really got into turkey hunting. I have only gone a few times with my son a few years back to give it a shot but we never got all that serious. A friend of mine has convinced me to go again and "really" try it before I knock it and my son wants to do it again soooo here I am. He said he would give us the rundown on turkey hunting when we got there but I dont like the idea of doing that. I did a little research online and Im guessing our Bear hunting camo will be good (leafy wear suit, mask, etc) and my Remington 870s. One is a 12 ga the other is a 20 ga both 3" chambers. I just bought a turkey choke for each and we have been practicing with some Remington #4 but the patterns dont seem all that great. Any input on some good ammo, especially for the 20 ga seeing how there is a bunch out there? Should I just buy 5 or 6 kinds and try them like with my big game loads? What would be the max range for the 20ga? I was also wondering about some calls. I picked up a few primos mouth calls and a M.A.D. calls hatchet box call and with more practice I just might be able to use them. I also saw this tube call online. Haydels turkey flute. Anyone ever try one? Are they good or crap? Any input appreciated.